2013 Denton County Friends of the Family Agency Statistics
3,041 Crisis Hotline Calls
672 Shelter Residents
8,995 Shelter Days
2, 424 Adult Counseling Clients
807 Child & Adolescent Counseling Clients
27,989 Counseling Hours
901 Advocacy Clients
653 Proyecto Seguro Clients
196 Sexual Assault Response Calls
605 Educational Presentations
25,573 Presentation Participants
687 Violence Intervention & Prevention Clients
22,614 Volunteer Hours
- Relationship Violence Statistics
- 1 in 4 women, 1 in 9 men in United States are victims of domestic violence at some point in their lives. (1)
- On the average, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends every day. (2)
- 3 out of 4 respondents personally know someone who is or has been a victim of domestic violence. (3)
- 1 in 5 female high school students reports being physically and/or sexually abused by a dating partner. Abused girls are significantly more likely to get involved in other risky behaviors. They are 4 to 6 times more likely to get pregnant and 8 to 9 times more likely to have tried to commit suicide. (4)
Violence against women costs companies $72.8 million annually due to lost productivity.
- CDC Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Survey 2005.
- Bureau of Justice Statistics Crime Data Brief, Intimate Partner Violence, 1993-2001, February 2003.
- Allstate Foundation National Poll on Domestic Violence 2004.
- Silverman, Jay G., Raj, Anita, and Clements, Karen. "Dating Violence Against Adolescent Girls and Associated Substance Use, Unhealthy Weight Control, Sexual Risk Behavior, Pregnancy, and Suicidality." Pediatrics, August 2004.
- Costs of Intimate Partner Violence Against Women in the United States. 2003. Center for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Atlanta, GA/
- Sexual Assault Statistics
- Nearly 1 in 4 women may experience sexual violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.1
- According to the U.S. Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey -- there were 248,300 sexual assaults in 2007 (the most recent data available). 2
- 15% of sexual assault and rape victims are under age 12.3
- 20% to 25% of women in college reported experiencing an attempted or a completed rape in college.4
- 13.3% of college women indicated that they had been forced to have sex in a dating situation.5
1. The World Health Report Fact Sheet on Sexual Violence, 2002.
2. U.S. Department of Justice. 2004 National Crime Victimization Survey. 2004.
3. RAINN, 2010 Sexual Assault Numbers. 2010.
4. Fisher BS, Cullen FT, Turner MG. 2000. The sexual victimization of college women. Washington: Department of Justice (US), National Institute of Justice; Publication No. NCJ 182369.
5. Johnson, I, Sigler R, 2000. "Forced Sexual Intercourse Among Intimates," Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 15(1).